Aviv Search 2022

Aviv Search 2022

Yoel Halevi 8 comments

Following are some notes regarding the state of barley growth in Israel from two recent trips:

Definitions related to barley development according to the following:

Stages of Growth after Heading

            Flowering

            Milk

            Soft Dough

___________________________________

First Edible Stage for Humans

            Aviv Stage ( אָבִיב ) –        Filled With Starch/Firm, can be parched in fire

            Karmel Stage (כַּרְמֶל)

            Mature Stage–    Dry

Note: a detailed but schematic description of the route followed for observing barley development is included for the sake of transparency so that everyone can understand the evidence more clearly.

If this information is used for conducting independent barley observations, please respect others by being careful not to destroy the evidence that other groups may want to inspect after you.

Trip to the south on Tuesday March 1, 2022. Warm weather sunny sky (20-21°C)

Overview of Route:

Travelled south from Jerusalem following Highways 3 and 40 to Gaza, continuing SE on the Road 34 towards Beersheva and returning toward Gaza on Road 25. South on Road 232 to Hanion Reim 

Continued to the area of Reim jct followed by the  Road 242 jct (checked fields on east and west sides), checked Tel Gamma, continued from Reim Jct along Road 234 to Road  241 continuing by Ofakim to Road 25. Road 25 was followed to Road 264 which was followed to Kama Jct. Returned to Jerusalem along Freeway 6 and then Highway 1 to the Talpiot area.

Observations:

Travelling South from Jerusalem along Highways 3 and 40 to Mordekhai Jct. – very random and widely dispersed examples of barley were seen while driving in the headed stage of development.  A few examples in one location would be seen separated by several kilometers where no barley in the headed stage would be seen at all.

Mordekhai Jct. – barley observed in the tillering state only on a brief stop

Along the route from Mordekhai Jct to Reim Park: 

Road 34  to Road 25, Road 25 to Road 232, Road 232 to Reim Park – 99% of the barley seen while driving was either in the tillering or jointing stages of growth with the remaining 1% consisting of very random and widely dispersed examples of barley that had reached the headed stage of development.

Reim Park (West of Road 232) – The majority of the barley was in the tillering stage with major patches in the jointing to boot stages of growth. Within the jointed patches, random mixed clusters of headed barley were observed but not beyond the flowering stage of development.

Reim Jct  (East of Road 232 and East of Nahal Besor) – nearly all of the barley was not advanced beyond the tillering stage (probably because of the Beduin sheep which were observed grazing through this area)

Reim Jct  (East of Road 232 and West of Nahal Besor) – The vast majority of the barley was in the tillering or jointing to boot stages of growth with a few random examples of  headed barley not beyond the flowering stage of development.

242 Jct  (West of Road 232) – The vast majority of the barley was in the tillering a small percent in the jointing to boot stages of growth with a few examples of  headed barley not beyond the flowering stage of development.

Tel Gamma – The majority of the barley was in the jointing to boot stages of growth with considerable patches of  headed barley not beyond the flowering stage.

Reim Jct along Road 234 to Road 241 to Road 25 to Road 264 to Kama Jct – essentially the same as the observations from travelling  from Mordekhai Jct to Reim Park. 99% of the barley seen was either in the tillering or jointing stages of growth with the remaining 1% consisting of very random and widely dispersed examples of barley that had reached the headed stage of development.

Jerusalem Talpiot area – All barley not advanced beyond the tillering stage of development.

Trip to the Jordan Valley on Wednesday March 2, 2022. Warm weather, sunny sky (24°C).

Overview of Route:

Travelled northeast from Jerusalem through Samaria following Highway 60 to Road 457. Travelled along Road 457 to Road 458 and then to Road 505. Followed Road 505 to Road 508 (checked a few sizable barley patches opposite of Mekhora) continuing to Khamra Jct on Highway 57 along Wadi el-Fara. After reaching the Adam Jct, Hwy 90 was followed north with stops at a pump station, Wadi Qaud Ida, and a Field northwest of the Highway 90 Check Point.

Observations:

Travelling northeast from Jerusalem along Highway 60 through Samaria to Mekhora – Nearly all barley in the tillering stage with a few random patches of barley in the jointing stage. Opposite Mekhora a few patches of headed barley were examined and found to be in the flowering stage. More barley with heads were observed from Mekhora to Adam Jct at Highway 90.  Most of the barley observed travelling north along Highway 90 was in the tillering stage with occasional random examples of barley in the more advanced stages, some being headed.  

Pump house east of Highway 90 (km343) – the whole area between Highway 90 and the security fence road found with barley in the jointing, boot and flowering stages with approximately 1% in the milk to early dough stages of development.

Wadi Qaud Ida (Nahal Talkid) west of highway 90 – nearly all of the barley was in the tillering stage of development.

Field North of Check Point – Large amounts of barley  mixed with other grasses in a field located northwest of Highway 90 shortly after the check point. Upon examination, the field had a mixture of barley in the jointing, boot and flowering stages. No barley was found more advanced than the flowering stage.

Conclusion

No aviv barley was found.

In our opinion there is no reason to believe there will be any substantial amounts of barley in a concentrated aviv state of development in the next few weeks and therefore the next month should not be considered the beginning of the month of the aviv.

Re’im Junction

Tel Gamma

Jerusalem-Talpiyot 

Jordan Valley

8 comments

Cyrus Harding

March 3, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Shalom Yoel,
I am trying to understand why there is such a huge divergence between yours and Devorah’s inspection reports and that of Becca Biderman. Not living in Israel I am unable to inspect it for myself and I have seen pictures used by other groups showing beautiful full green heads and they called Aviv but it was really wheat. Other times I have seen wild barley growing in a field that was indeed aviv but it was underneath a huge power transmission line. The electromagnetic radiation causes plants to age faster. Will there be, based on your observations, for me to theoretically go out into a single field and gather another barley to fill an omer in 2 and 1/2 weeks?

    Yoel Halevi

    April 10, 2022 at 6:40 am

    Devorah and I actually agreed on what the sate of the barley is. The only difference is that I used a much more scientific method and not just give a general description or my own terminology. Regarding Becca, she has here own opinion about what aviv is and how much is needed. I cannot agree with her because her interpretation is not based on the Hebrew text and is completely arbitrary.

Augustus Paul Andrew

March 3, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Todah.

Bruce

March 4, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Todah Mishcopah

Robert L

March 5, 2022 at 7:03 am

Shalom trying to have a clear understanding on the “aviv barley” is it to be measure watched in the land we live in or reports from Israel?

    Yoel Halevi

    April 10, 2022 at 6:38 am

    The Ancient Israelites would have only used Aviv from Israel. This practice was continued later on in the 2nd temple and after its distraction. It is my solid belief that the feasts are connected only to the land and Aviv must be observed only from it.

Mary wittman

April 7, 2022 at 2:25 am

Well done, thank you. I also found pic interesting.

Mary wittman

April 7, 2022 at 2:26 am

Great job Yoel,
Thank you and found pics helpful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Join My Group Bible Class TODAY!

The class is done in a virtual class room with multiple participants. We meet on Sundays at 11:45am US eastern, or 6:45pm Israel time. You do not need to know Hebrew for this class, and you also receive a recording of the classes every month. For the link and how to join, click the More Info Button to email us.